Sunday, May 28, 2006

Beowulfs @ Home

Lately, I was wondering what to do with the four old computers that are sitting in my parent's basement. I looked online, only found one article from PC mag, and none of them seem very neat or enticing.

It was then that I went back to reading about beowulf clusters, but other than the experience of setting one up, I only have one problem I'd like to solve in parallel, which is the simulation of sexual selection on the genetic algorithm.

But yet, reading about cells yesterday, I'm wondering if it was possible to use parallel computers to take advantage of this dataflow programming paradigm. While I'm doing guesswork here with very little details, at the very least, it seems that one can assign a processor to a number of cells to update within a program. However, it might not be feasible, if the messaging system of cells has a lot of overhead.

This would be something neat to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment