Sunday, March 05, 2006

I made a table.


So this past week, I built a table, so I can solder on it. I thought about buying a $80 workbench, which would have been really nice, but I thought I could:
  1. Learn a little bit about furniture making.
  2. Learn the value of tables.
  3. Have the oppurtunity to make something.
  4. Try to save some money.
A table should be simple to build, right? What's the minimal traits of a table? This was was easy: A board with at least three legs. Of course, nothing is ever as simple as it looks, as the devil is always in the details. Since I was limited in my tool set--mostly hand tools, I had to make it as simple as possible. I went to Home Depot, and found out that they have pre-cut panels of wood. I chose a 2' x 4' x 0.75' pine/particle board for $15, built legs out of 2" x 2" x 28" of wood, and some top plates for $2.

The table is a little shaky, since I used my eye to judge the drilling of the hole for the metal dowels. But I think I can remedy that with some reinforcement. All in all, the raw materials only cost me under $30, and I'm pretty satisfied with it--as far as a soldering table goes. I had to spend more money to buy epoxy, a hacksaw, sandpaper, and two clamps, but I tend to think of it as and investment for future tool use. I already had a desk lamp, and a power strip, so you can see that I attached them to my table in the picture above. This is all I need for now, so there's no use to making it until I really need it.

I think it's important to take time to make your workspace comfortable and condusive to how you work. I tend to like everything all around me in a swivel chair, so I've built my office around that premise. I feel like too many people don't spend enough time thinking about how their workspace should be so that it can induce good work efficiency. So now, my workspace is more comfortable, and I have another place to work. Eventually, I'll have to get a real workbench with drawers and shelving. But for now, this will do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment